Discover the most beautiful section of the Danube Valley on this day excursion of biking and wine tasting in Austria’s most beautiful valley, voted the Best Historic Destination in the World in 2008. Imagine a glorious day of sipping, swirling, and casual cycling through the country’s most famous wine making regions.
World-famous for its quality wines, stunning villages and breathtaking scenery, the Wachau Valley is the perfect place to enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Arrive by train and then hop on your bike (rental included) to explore with your expert guide. Breathe in the fresh country air as you cycle by historic towns, charming villages, and spectacular scenery.
Stopping at local wineries, you’ll sample a variety of wines as well as other delicacies, like the valley’s famed apricot jams and liqueurs. During free time, explore the medieval town of Dürnstein, a well-known Wachau highlight, overlooked by a castle where Richard the Lionheart was once held prisoner. Or perhaps you’d rather swim in the Danube or play a little beach volleyball. Then enjoy lunch at a family-run tavern serving local Austrian dishes.
Our winery bike tour of the Wachau Valley is the perfect choice for those looking for a unique wine tasting experience that combines fun, biking, and stunning scenery.
« We pride ourselves on showing you the Wachau Valley like no other tour can! »
- Enjoy a cycling day-trip through the Wachau Valley
- Try our new, comfortable, and easy to ride beach cruisers
- Small-groups ensuring a fun and personal experience
- Visit local wineries and enjoy lunch at a local restaurant serving Austrian specialties.
- Taste locally-made chocolate, liqueur and jams
- Explore the UNESCO town of Dürnstein or hike up to the castle ruins where King Richard the Lionhearted was once imprisoned
- Master the techniques of wine tasting in a laid back environment
- Swim in the River Danube, or play a game of beach volleyball
- Learn about the region’s fascinating history and culture from friendly, expert guide
The Bike Ride
- This guided bike tour is about 25 kilometers long and start from Krems. We do not feel it is a strenuous tour and it is suitable for all ages. It is a very flat ride with the hills consisting small inclines leading up to the small village. We do have stops throughout the tour so you are not riding for hours straight. The longest we bike without a stop is 25 minutes at a time (depending on the direction of the wind). Join us for a fun and informative ride you’ll be glad you decided to take.
- We provide rain gear – which can often be necessary in Austria. (A note on the weather, if you come to town and it’s raining, you have two choices as we see it; either you sit in your hotel room and don’t see anything, or you put a jacket on and come join us on the tour! Nobody has drowned yet!! But some have gone swimming).
- Transport to and from Vienna
- Full-day accompaniment by expert guide
- Tastings at all wineries
- Chocolate, jam and other local delicacies tasting
- Bike rental, baskets, helmets & rain ponchos
- Lunch and lunch drinks at local restaurant
- Gratuities for your guide
- Book early- our most popular Wachau Tour sells out quickly!
- Tour operates in all weather conditions (rain ponchos provided)
- Child seats, kids tag a long bikes and electric bikes also available on request
- Meeting Point: Vienna Explorer Tour Office (see map here)
WHAT TO BRING
- Dress comfortably for a day of easy biking
- Sun protection: sunscreen, sunglasses and hat recommended
- Camera – don’t forget to charge your battery!
- Swimwear and towel – if time permits, you will have a chance to play beach volleyball and swim in the River Danube
- Warm clothing in case of cold weather, especially April & October
- Water – There will be opportunities along the way to refill or purchase bottles of water
- We supply baskets for each bike to carry bags and personal items. There is also the option to leave items at our shop in Krems.
- Extra cash for lunch and souvenirs. ATM`S are limited in the region we visit, so it`s advised to have cash with you before the tour.